Few More Issues

— Written By

Suggest not spraying any more acephate and not spraying any more paraquat at this point. For all herbicides, suggest spraying in the morning up until about 10 a.m. and then wait until the next morning. Suggest begin spraying as soon as the weeds wake up in the morning and the leaves expand. Don’t worry about the dew as that will perhaps give you a little more spray volume given spray volumes being used are probably already low when it comes to what is needed for PPO herbicides. Suggest backing off of crop oil concentrate except for generic clethodim products applied alone. Avoid tank mixtures of PPO and other herbicides that include the generic clethodims because they will need crop oil concentrate.

There has always been the question of dry conditions and whether to wait for rain before spraying. The weeds will keep right on getting bigger even when things are dry while the crop just sits there. So I suggest spraying when the weeds need it and not waiting on moisture and use the cautions listed above. Of course you should always follow the label, but the above information is what I would consider to be a good generalization (even though I wrote it.)

Look closely at the risk advisory for rootworms if you have people considering that. While we could begin getting really good rains and need protection from rootworms with Lorsban, this does not appear to be the case, at least right now. With a year like this, you may lean toward not treating with Lorsban for the low and moderate risk scenarios. Last year we might have suggested treating for the moderate and high risk scenarios because of the rainfall patterns we were experiencing.

If you start seeing mites be careful about riding around on 4-wheelers a lot and trying to determine if the mite population is changing. You could be spreading them around by looking too often. Don’t mow anything near peanut fields.

If you see potato leaf hopper damage make sure the hoppers are active. We don’t need to spray anything that would increase the likelihood of mite populations building.

Now is the time to begin getting gypsum out (you are probably saying, “Really, it’s been out for 2 weeks.” To that I’d say, “Okay, whatever.”)

Note from Rick Brandenburg:

David is on the mark about the mites. If you received some good rains in the past week, the threat was knocked way back. No rain, the threat keeps increasing with each passing day. However, the current forecast is for a BIG change starting Friday afternoon. Overall, that would be a good thing, Remember, that when it has been dry, the use of virtually ANY insecticide increases the risk for a mite infestation. Thrips concerns are over and worms are a ways off (if at all). We’ve seen few problems with rootworms the past ten years. Yes, Lorsban eliminates the risk of leafhoppers, but it really increases the risk of spider mites. Let’s see what the next few weeks bring before making any insecticide decisions. I am ready for a cooler, rainy weekend!

Article first appeared as North Carolina Peanut Note (PNNC-2015-065)