When to Dig Relative to Tropical Weather Peanut Notes No. 226 2022
El inglés es el idioma de control de esta página. En la medida en que haya algún conflicto entre la traducción al inglés y la traducción, el inglés prevalece.
Al hacer clic en el enlace de traducción se activa un servicio de traducción gratuito para convertir la página al español. Al igual que con cualquier traducción por Internet, la conversión no es sensible al contexto y puede que no traduzca el texto en su significado original. NC State Extension no garantiza la exactitud del texto traducido. Por favor, tenga en cuenta que algunas aplicaciones y/o servicios pueden no funcionar como se espera cuando se traducen.
English is the controlling language of this page. To the extent there is any conflict between the English text and the translation, English controls.
Clicking on the translation link activates a free translation service to convert the page to Spanish. As with any Internet translation, the conversion is not context-sensitive and may not translate the text to its original meaning. NC State Extension does not guarantee the accuracy of the translated text. Please note that some applications and/or services may not function as expected when translated.Collapse ▲
This is an important question. The following is an e-mail conversation I had with an agent yesterday. I am personally worried most about the potential storm or rainy weather after the first storm when it comes to peanuts, and that is an unknown. Of course the first storm (Ian in this case) can be catastrophic, but the weather during the 3 weeks after a major event is equally important.
The consensus of opinion for managing digging peanut with an approaching hurricane is to hold off on digging and wait for the storm to pass. I’d love to hear your thoughts.
If you can tell me how much it will rain and if we will have another storm in 2 weeks I can answer that question. I am digging as many as I can prior to the storm. If we get really wet I’d rather have them on top of the ground. Of course, the wind can blow them around. Hard call. I seldom argue with Consensus. She is formed by many smart and experienced people.
If they are mature now and we are out of the field for 2-3 weeks due to wet soils, we could have significant loss. I do not dig early due to concerns over a storm but I do not stop digging if they are mature. Of course I am a researcher and will learn something either way. But I am still trying to make the right call.
I have advised fields with Sullivan to dig. Fields with Bailey 2 can afford to be risky. I don’t know. A good survey question…
Sounds good. I worry more about the second storm. We can generally survive if we only get one major event. In 1999 we were hit by Denis, Floyd and Irene. Denis soaked everything, then Floyd flooded and then 8 inches from Irene was the nail in the coffin. And Floyd collided with a cold front with all of its moisture.